Accreditation and Quality Assurance
Accreditation and quality assurance have become integral to the institutional review processes in education. In the globally competitive education environment, the importance of institutional self-review, peer review by experts in the field, benchmarking, and best practice have never been more important.
Institutions are increasingly seeking both national and globally recognised programme accreditations. This can be seen in areas as diverse as business, nursing and engineering. Accreditation has become an accepted and important process to undertake in the globalising world of education. Furthermore, accreditation is also regarded as the ‘mark of quality’ by prospective international students and other institutions.
THE-ICE Accreditation Process
The process involves two stages: a) Pre-accreditation and b) Accreditation.
Institutions seeking accreditation and membership of their TH&E (tourism, hospitality, events and culinary arts) education programmes by THE-ICE must meet THE-ICE Standards of Excellence. The process involves the completion of an application Proforma, site audit to be evaluated and conducted by registered auditor/s from the Independent THE-ICE Assessment Panel, and peer review by THE-ICE Board of Directors.
Upon successful completion of the Pre-accreditation process, or the Fast Track Process, the institution will be invited to join the network as an Associate of THE-ICE. Within the three year validity of Pre-accreditation, Associates of THE-ICE may apply for Full Accreditation and become a Full Member of THE-ICE. As a Full Members, programmes are accredited for a period of five years after which Re-accreditation is required.
In brief, the accreditation process steps include:
- Site visit
- Peer review
- On-going benchmarking
Fully Accredited Members of THE-ICE that may operate as part of an ‘education group’ may be entitled to nominate other members of their education group as Affiliate Full Members, subject to the relevant criteria being met.
THE-ICE Standards of Excellence
Our Standards of Excellence are reviewed regularly in keeping with global accreditation standards. THE-ICE Standards of Excellence focus on the following key areas:
- Status of the institution
- Governance & administration
- Vision, mission & objectives
- Courses/ programmes, curriculum & graduate outcomes
- Approach to teaching & learning
- Planning, programme review & quality assurance mechanisms
- Level of internationalisation
- Physical resources & facilities
- Student support services
- Industry advisory board
- Staffing resources
- Financial resources
- Memberships, partnerships, community engagement & social responsibility
- ‘Areas of Excellence’
See THE-ICE Standards of Excellence webpage for further details
Accreditation Support for Member Institutions
Unlike traditional Accreditation Agencies, recognising excellence is only part of the service that THE-ICE offers to its members. THE-ICE is also committed to benchmarking and the promotion of quality assurance in education, developing and improving its accreditation brand value to both educators and future students through the following strategic activities:
- Hosting of regular TH&E-focus education Forums and Workshops – to provide knowledge-sharing platforms for educators and industry professionals to address current trends, issues and challenges confronting the sectors. Key events include THE-ICE International Panel of Experts Forum and Benchmarking Roundtable Series
- THE-ICE ISB-SB (International Student Barometer and Student Barometer™) Student Satisfaction Survey – to provide invaluable insights on what is important to students currently enrolled at our member institutions, their decision making process and the level of their satisfaction in key areas of their study experience including arrival, learning, living and support
- Our website is a hub of information about THE-ICE, our member institutions and their commitment to education excellence evidenced by their THE-ICE accredited programmes
- eNewsletters – the iStudent News is our quarterly eNewsletter to future and current students about TH&E education, news, events and articles of interest – the eBulletin is sent quarterly to our global network of TH&E educators with updated news and information about global trends, research and events in international TH&E education