IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems
The IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems (IMC) is an internationally focused university located in the heart of the Wachau region in Austria – a world heritage site. Since 1994 the IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems has taken on a pioneering role in the development of innovative solutions and practice-oriented degree programmes. It is the first Austrian University of Applied Sciences that introduced a mandatory internship semester abroad and English as the sole language of instruction. Over the past 21 years IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems has established a network of 113 partner universities in over 30 countries and cooperation with a steadily growing number of tourism and hospitality enterprises all over the world.
At IMC Krems, students enjoy high-quality education, personalised coaching by a committed team of academic staff and an international atmosphere, some of the reasons why it ranks top in international student surveys in Europe.
Tourism School at the historic “Piaristen” building
The IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems is characterised as a centre for international and practice-oriented higher education. The high educational quality of the degree programmes in Krems is based on internationalisation and the teaching of modern tourism management approaches.
The Tourism School offers Tourism and Leisure Management programmes at both Bachelor and Master levels. State of the art curricula, that reflect current challenges in the global tourism and leisure industry, lay the foundation for a high employability of IMC graduates on the national and international market.
The focus is on the following areas:
- Business Administration and Management including Event Management, Project Management, Entrepreneurship
- E-Tourism , Soft Skills and Languages
- Research Methodologies
- General and Specialized Tourism Studies, such as Hospitality Management, Sports Tourism, Cultural Tourism, Business & Congress Tourism, Health and Spa Tourism
Students use the Internship Semester (Bachelor level) and the Applied Research and Training Semester (Masters level) to actively design their career paths. Furthermore, students may choose an additional semester abroad at one of IMC partner universities worldwide. Since fall 2015 the Bachelor programme “International wine business” strengthens the international portfolio of IMC Krems’ degree programmes.
The programmes are delivered by national and international professors, renowned tourism management researchers and lecturers from the corporate world.
The international setting at IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems creates a multicultural learning environment with an increasing number of international degree seeking students, more than 100 international incoming exchange students and visiting professors from partner universities per semester.
Teaching at IMC is case-based to promote systemic thinking. Students engage in industry projects during their coursework and work in small intercultural teams to develop social skills and team competency. Small groups allow interaction and dialoguing with the lectures. Virtual classroom sessions and e-learning elements are selectively integrated into the courses.
The IMC Career Center serves the systematic development of the IMC University of Applied Sciences network of companies and organisations. It offers career services to students and alumni.
Research & Industry Programmes
The key areas of research are:
- Tourism Marketing Research and Tourism Consumer Behaviour (influences of sensory information on purchase decisions; measurement of tourists’ attitudes; measurement of the effectiveness of tourism advertisement; building brand equity in the tourism industry)
- E-Tourism/E-Marketing (web-controlling, usability research, use of web technologies in tourism marketing)
- Sustainable Tourism Development (on local, regional and national level)
- Cultural (Heritage) Tourism
- Feasibility studies for national and international tourism organisations
Projects and outcomes are shown on the IMC Krems website.
Study Programmes Accredited by THE-ICE
- Bachelor of Arts in Tourism and Leisure Management, full-time or part-time
- Master of Arts in Tourism and Leisure Management, full-time
For full details on how to apply, see the IMC Krems Online Application information
Krems enjoys a well-earned reputation as the centre of education in Lower Austria. During the academic year, life in the town is shaped by its 15,000 university and secondary school students. And thanks to an investment of EUR 72.7 million in the new Campus Krems, an additional 4,500 students are now studying in the city. Krems’ inimitable flair and its extensive range of cultural and leisure activities make this a highly enjoyable home away from home for students.
Take an online tour of IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems.
IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems
– Institution Registration Number: IMC Krems GesmbH/ 79297