Developing Quality and Value-adding to Partnerships between Institutions & Industry
11th – 14th November 2014
Proudly hosted in Darwin, Australia,
by Charles Darwin University School of Business & School of Service Industries.
The IPoE 2014 drew participants from 13 countries, and built on preceding IPoE themes by focusing on current strategic issues facing tourism, hospitality and events (TH&E) education. IPoE 2014 featured a series of invited presenters, including leading international TH&E educators and industry experts, who facilitated panel sessions and breakout workshops. In addition there were a select number of academic paper presentations from which the IPoE 2014 Best Paper Award and IPoE Best Poster Paper Award were selected.
Welcome and Official Opening
Welcome to Darwin and Charles Darwin University, Ms Morag McGrath.
Welcome to Country, Ali Mills.
Official opening – MCs
- Ms Pauline Tang, CEO, THE-ICE.
- Prof Giselle Byrnes, Pro Vice Chancellor, Faculty of Law, Education, Business and Arts, Charles Darwin University.
- Prof (FH) Eva Werner, Chair, THE-ICE Board and Rector, IMC University of Applied Sciences, Krems Austria.
Panellists & Presenters
Panel One – Global partnerships
Focus: How can we encourage establishment of partnerships to allow greater student and staff mobility?
Chair: Mr Guy Bentley, CEO, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, Sydney Australia.
- Prof Brian King, Associate Dean, Executive Education & Partnership, and Professor, School of Hotel & Tourism Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University. View Presentation.
- Mr Ron Hilvert, Managing Director, Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management, Dubai United Arabic Emirates. View Presentation.
- Prof (FH) Dr Maximilian Schachner, Head – Academic Mobility Programmes, and Prof – International Tourism, Marketing & Communication, IMC University of Applied Sciences, Krems, Austria. View Presentation.
- A/Prof Laura Lawton, A/Prof & A/Head, Dept of Tourism, Sport & Hotel Management, Griffith University, Gold Coast Australia. View Presentation.
Panel 2 – Education pathways & challenges
Focus: What are the potential impediments of education pathways and recognition of prior learning for students moving between VET and HE? What domestic and international implications are there?
- Prof JS Perry Hobson, Pro Vice-Chancellor, Global Engagement, Taylor’s University, Malaysia. View Presentation.
- Dr Scott Richardson, Director, Academic Affairs, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, Sydney. View Presentation.
- Ms Coralie Morrissey, Executive Dean, Faculty Of Business & Hospitality, William Blue College of Hospitality Management, Sydney Australia. View Presentation.
Panel 3 – Industry expectations
Focus: Regional and global perspective on industry expectation and how industry and education providers collaborate to overcome the challenges of graduates meeting these expectations.
Chair: Mr Bharat Desai, Head, School of Business & Service Industries, Charles Darwin University, Australia.
- Mr Emanuel Donhauser, Chief Academic Officer, Swiss Education Group, Switzerland. View Presentation.
- Ms Yvonne Webb, Executive Officer, CHARTTES (Culture, Hospitality, Arts, Recreation, Tourism, Textiles, Entertainment, Sport) Training Advisory Council for NT, Australia.
- Mr Chris Sapinoso, VIP Gaming Host, Skycity Casino, Darwin Australia & alumni Charles Darwin University. View Presentation.
Panel 4 – The reality gap
Focus: The challenges and advantages of the current status quo from VET & HE graduate perspective. What can education providers improve on to make students more employment-ready?
- Dr Craig Thompson, Academic Dean, Stenden Hotel Management School, Stenden University of Applied Sciences, The Netherlands.
- Mr Albert Toh, Director, ASPIRE Project Office, Republic Polytechnic, Singapore.
- Prof Dr Oswin Maurer, Prof of Marketing, Directing TOMTE – The Competence Centre in Tourism Management and Tourism Economics, Free University of Bozen, Bolzano, Italy.
- MA Christina G Aquino, Executive Director for Planning and Development, Lyceum of the Philippines University, Manila, Philippines. View Presentation.
MOOCs – Connecting THE-ICE Institutions and Students
Focus: Developing MOOCs within the private vocational and higher education arenas.
Incorporating the academic paper presentation by authors Prof Jamie Murphy & Ms Laurel Horton-Tognazzini entitled ‘Measuring MOOCs’. View Presentation.
Chair: Prof Jamie Murphy, Research Director, Australian School of Management, Perth, Western Australia.
- Mr Alan Williams, CEO & Managing Director, Australian School of Management.
- Ms Laurel Horton-Tognazzini, Adjunct Research Fellow, Australian School of Management.
- Dr Peter Ryan, Adjunct Senior Lecturer & Chair, Board of Directors, Australian School of Management.
Academic Paper Presenters
Facilitators: Prof Dr Oswin Maurer, Free University of Bozen, Bolzano, Italy & Prof Brian King, Associate Dean, Executive Education & Partnership, and Professor, School of Hotel & Tourism Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Paper Presentation 1 – Industry Collaboration in Higher Education: a case study of two Australian Hospitality schools.
- Simon Pawson, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School & Coralie Morrissey, William Blue College of Hospitality Management (Think Education). View Paper Presentation.
Paper Presentation 2 – Sexual Harassment of Kitchen Department’s Staff In Hotel Business: A Study of Perspectives from the Internship Students.
- Sanit Noonin, Instructor of Business Administration Office, Faculty of Hospitality Industry, Dusit Thani College, Bangkok, Thailand. View Presentation.
Paper Presentation 3 – Curriculum Benchmarking through the Curriculum Map.
- Stuart Wiggins, Academic Services Manager Think Education & Dr Rajka Presbury, Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School. View Presentation.